BI tools mean business intelligence software. BI tools is a type of application software to collect, process and analyze data for business intelligence. Business intelligence (BI) is an umbrella for the business. It consists of application, tools, infrastructure and best practice of business to enable and assess the information, analysis and help to take the decision. BI mixes technology and strategy. It uses for the data analysis of the organization. It provides the current, previous and focusing preview or the business. BI tools can be integrated with cloud computing.
BI technologies can handle a large volume of unstructured and structured data. As a result, it expands a large business arena. BI connects the data warehouse. This data warehouse is a copy of analytical data that support for decision making. Common jobs of BI technologies include reporting, analytics, data mining, complex event processing, online analytical processing, text mining, predictive analytics, process mining, business performance management, benchmark, and prescriptive analytics.
Why are BI tools important?
The potential benefits of business intelligence tools include accelerating and improving decision-making, optimizing internal business processes, increasing operational efficiency, driving new revenues and gaining a competitive advantage over business rivals. BI systems can also help companies identify market trends and spot business problems that need to be addressed.
BI tools can store previous information in a data warehouse. Similarly, it can collect new data from various sources and enable tactical and strategic decision-making process. At the initial stage, BI tools used by data analysts and IT professionals who worked with query report. Later the business executives can understand the necessity of BI tools. BI has a relation with Artificial intelligence.
Top 30 BI Tools:
There are a lot of BI Tools in the digital world. Some of them are costly but maximum is open source. Some awesome BI Tools are:
1. Jasper Reports
Jasper Reports is an open source BI tool. This java reporting tools can write to the variety of target like screen, a printer, Microsoft Excel, RTF, ODT, into PDF, HTML, Comma-separated values or XML files. It is used in Java-enabled applications, with Java EE or web applications, to produce lively content. It reads its orders from an XML or .jasper file. This BI tool is part of the Lisog open source stack enterprise. Jasper Reports is the extremely versatile product. It has the facilities for invoice printing to Self-service BI. Its algorithm is wonderful.
- Best integration platform
- Include the jar files
- Most sophisticated document with HTML5 on PDF output
- Jasper server
- users make their own report in minutes without training
- self-service BI portal
- the package may be missing for any prediction
- dashboard need more animated widgets
- Need conditional formatting, like stoplights
Recommendations to others:
- If you want to embed cloud or web type application Jasper soft is suitable for you.
- If you want prediction type analysis then go for the other BI tools.
What business problems solve this tools?
- beautify and visualization of logistic performance straight to the webpage
- A swap old fashion paper output
- modern style colorful graphical printout on any device or platform
2. Palo Open Source BI Tool:
Palo open source BI Tool is a wonderful business intelligence software. It has integration with MS Excel. Palo BI Suite is very popular with business executives. It has the different module like resources, report repository, Palo admin, Users and Groups, and connections. Palo is an effective and pragmatic OLAP based BI tool with web-based tools and Excel interface. This is open source BI tool focused around OLAP, web and excel interface. It provides high-performance access data, multi-user.
- Real-time aggregation
- Ideal platform for Business intelligence collaboration
- Data loaded to OLAP server using Palo ETL Server
- Supports most data sources including SAP, relational databases, and others
- For designer and business user same user interface
- The designer can create the report and business user can view the report.
- Palo is cell-based it is ideally suited to the Excel (or OpenOffice) interface
- It has two commercial version. Jedox is free and another version premium edition offers considerably more functionality.
3. Pentaho BI Tool
Pentaho is Orlando, Florida based business intelligence software. Hitachi Data Systems acquired it in 2015. Pentaho became the portion of Hitachi Vantara on September 19, 2017. Pentaho BI Tool is a business intelligence software that provides information dashboards, data integration, reporting, data mining and extract, transform, OLAP services, load (ETL) capabilities.
- Unique ability to combine data integration
- geo-mapping, heat grids, and scatter charts
- Analytical processing saves users money and time
- Vastly speeds up the results process
- Include visual analysis, self-service reports, and custom dashboard
- Designed to blend with mobile platforms
- works with many data sources, such as Google Cloud, Spark, and Microsoft
- Visual Map to decrease designer for Hadoop gets rid of coding
- relies on in-memory data caching which provide speed
- Embedded analytics solution
- Drag and drop dashboard
- Report is Excel, CSV, PDF, and HTML supported
- First BI tool to market direct reporting for NoSQL
Other BI Tools:
Some of their products are Pentaho BA Platform and Pentaho Analysis Services (Mondrian) are server platform. Pentaho Dashboard Designer (PDD), Pentaho Data Access Wizard, Pentaho Analysis (Analyzer) (PAZ) and Pentaho Interactive Reporting (PIR) are server plugin.
Besides the major three open source product, there are lots of Proprietary product of business intelligence. Some of them are:
1. ActiveReports: This Active Report is wonderful.Net BI tool developed by WinForm. It supports asp.net and html5. The active report provides a set of BI Tools in the compact form.
2. Actuate Corporation: This opentext is a awesome software. It is publicly treaded analysis and customer communication software. This company is famous for open source Eclipse BIRT. BIRT Analytics means self-service software for business analysts. It wants to perform its own predictive analytics. Actuate Corporation focus on customer behavior and purchasing patterns. They use any source of big or small Data, including social media activity, to enhance customer engagement.
It is a US-based software company who provides the graphical representation of all data. They claimed that they provided support for more than 70% company of fortune 1000. AnyChart, AnyStock, AnyMap, and AnyGantt are their popular product.
Others BI Tools:
7. Crystal Reports
8. Data Applied
9. Decision Support Panel
10. Dimensional Insight
12. Dundas Data Visualization
13. GoodData – cloud-based
14. Grapheur, implementing the reactive business intelligence (RBI) approach
15. IBM Cognos
18. Information Builders
23. Klipfolio Dashboard
24. Lavastorm Analytics
26. List & Label
27. Logi Analytics
29. SQL Server Reporting Services
40. SQL Server Analysis Services
Top BI Solutions:
41. PerformancePoint Server 2007
43. Power Pivot
44. Power BI
47. Hyperion Solutions Corporation
48. Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition
49. Panorama Software
50. Pentaho (now Hitachi Data Systems)
51. Pervasive DataRush
52. Phocas Software
57. RW3 Technologies
58. SAP NetWeaver Business Intelligence
59. Business Objects
62. Siebel Systems
63. Spotfire (now Tibco)
64. Sybase IQ (now SAP IQ)
65. Tableau Software
66. TARGIT Business Intelligence
70. Yellowfin Business Intelligence
72.Zoho Reports (as part of the Zoho Office Suite)
Finally about BI Tools:
In this article, I discussed 3 open source BI tools, 3 Proprietary free products including a list of 73 bi tools. Total 76 bi tools are mentioned here. BI Tools are the effective component for any business who want analysis. The person who is interested regarding BI tools he can bookmark the website(Cloud Computing). We will update the page time to time for your learning. At present business, it is difficult without BI Tools, however, there are a lot of open sources of bi tools.